Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

‘Verbena’ leaves 2 missing, thousands displaced

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said late Wednesday afternoon that Severe Tropical Storm “Verbena” (international name: Koto) could exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) today.

Two people in the Negros Island Region have been reported missing, while almost 300,000 people have been affected by the storm, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.

- Advertisement -

Based on the NDRRMC’s latest report, no fatalities or injuries have been recorded so far.

A total of 275,458 people or 78,736 families were affected by the bad weather in Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Negros Island Region, Central Visayas, and Caraga. The most affected region was Negros Island, with 169,133 individuals.

Of the total affected population, 48,450 people or 14,238 families were staying in evacuation centers, while 34,377 people or 8,087 families were taking shelter elsewhere. Floods and landslides were reported.

A total of 95 houses were damaged, of which 82 were partially and 13 were totally damaged.

According to the NDRRMC, 25 of the 37 affected road sections and all five affected bridges remained impassable.

Power interruption persisted in one of the 19 affected areas, while another area continued to experience communication line problems.

Operations remained suspended in 73 of the 79 affected seaports, leaving 3,727 passengers, 1,132 rolling cargoes, 124 vessels, and 34 motorbancas stranded. With Rex Espiritu.

Classes in 404 areas and work schedules in 54 areas were suspended due to the combined effects of Verbena and the shear line.

Assistance worth P304,010 has been provided to affected residents so far, the NDRRMC said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img