Palace Press Office Undersecretary (PCO) Claire Castro criticized Vice President Sara Duterte’s call for President Marcos to take a drug test, stressing that the Palace had already made clear during her father’s presidency that a sitting president cannot be compelled to undergo such a procedure.
In a message to reporters on Sunday, November 23, Castro responded to the vice president’s remarks on drug testing and leadership conduct earlier in the day.
“Did she order her father to take a drug test? Did she forget the Spokesperson’s answer then that the president cannot be ordered to take a drug test?” she said.
Castro’s remarks came after Duterte urged the president to undergo drug testing following Senator Imee Marcos’ claim that he and his family are using illegal substances.
She emphasized that government officials cannot refuse assessments such as drug tests or neuropsychiatric exams when their leadership competence is questioned. Castro added that President Marcos remains focused on governance and is actively pursuing corrupt officials.
She contrasted him with another individual, describing them as exhibiting erratic behavior—including making threats, displaying uncontrolled anger, and using abusive language—and suggested this conduct resembles the effects of prohibited substances.
In 2017, during a speech in Davao, former president Duterte disclosed that he had exceeded the prescribed fentanyl dosage, saying it relieved his burdens and made him feel “on cloud nine.”
In 2018, then-presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte would take a drug test only if he wished to, after former senator Antonio Trillanes IV urged him and his family to undergo testing.







