Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Theresa Lazaro said the Philippines will uphold the commitments made by regional leaders in 2023 on the South China Sea Code of Conduct (COC), adding that it aims to finalize the agreement by 2026 when the country assumes the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) chairship.
In a press briefing on the Philippine ASEAN Chairship for 2026 on Monday, November 17, Lazaro said ASEAN and China share the sense that a COC could be concluded.
“All ASEAN member states are involved and very much entrenched. We have been discussing this for a long time… In fact, there are certain discussions on the milestones and definition of terms,” she said.
Lazaro emphasized the importance of continuing the discussions to ensure that previously agreed-upon topics do not fall by the wayside. “We just have to keep moving forward,” she said.
In 2023, the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN and China adopted guidelines to accelerate the early conclusion of the COC, agreeing to work towards finalizing it within three years.
Lazaro also discussed the priorities of the Philippines’ chairship under ASEAN’s 2026 theme ‘Navigating Our Future, Together.’
She noted that the agenda will focus on helping steer the regional and global landscape, tackling present and emerging challenges, strengthening human development and community empowerment, and ensuring progress that is people-centered and future-ready.
Lazaro also mentioned that a key objective of the Philippines’ ASEAN chairship is the formalization of the coast guard forum, emphasizing that additional agreements are also expected to advance regional cooperation.
On Friday, November 14, Lazaro joined President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in launching the ASEAN Philippine Chairship.
President Marcos pledged to guide the region with three central priorities: Peace and Security Anchors, Prosperity Corridors, and People Empowerment.







