The combined reported fatalities from Typhoon ‘Tino’ (Kalmaegi) and Super Typhoon ‘Uwan’ (Fung-wong)—which struck large parts of the country just days apart—have risen to 297, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council’s (NDRRMC) Monday update.
Deaths for Tino are placed at 269. Cebu accounted for 150 casualties, followed by Negros Occidental (77), Negros Oriental (23), Agusan del Sur (6), Capiz (3); Leyte (2), Southern Leyte (2), Dinagat Island (2), and one fatality each for Antique, Bohol, Iloilo, and Guimaras.
Reported missing for Tino are 113—Cebu (57); Negros Occidental (50), and Negros Oriental (6). At least 523 people were injured by the same storm; 451 of whom are from Cebu, 41 from Leyte, 28 from Negros Occidental, two from Surigao del Norte, and one from Surigao del Sur.
Uwan, meanwhile, killed 28 most of whom hail from the provinces of the Cordillera Administrative Region—namely Ifugao, Kalinga, Mountain Province and Benguet—as well as Nueva Vizcaya, Catanduanes, Capiz, Samar, and Sulu.
The super typhoon injured 52 and two have been reported missing.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) said approximately P838.5 million worth of assistance has so far been provided to communities affected by the consecutive typhoons.
This came from various government agencies, local government units, the private sector, and non-government organizations.
The OCD did not provide a breakdown of the funds as relief operations are still ongoing.
“Government agencies continue to carry out coordinated response operations to support affected communities,” it said.
The OCD, as the lead agency for early disaster recovery under the NDRRMC Response Cluster, is also responsible for conducting post-disaster needs assessments to guide rehabilitation planning.
Ranking OCD officials over the weekend inspected areas hit by ‘Tino’ and ‘Uwan,’ particularly the provinces of Catanduanes, Southern Leyte and Negros Occidental, to further assess the extent of the damage.







