Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

DOJ assures Bonoan stays on its radar while in US

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday said they are monitoring the travel of former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel Bonoan in the United States.

“Being under the ILBO [Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order], this means that there is real-time monitoring and reporting of all his movements. The DOJ and the government are closely monitoring Mr. Bonoan’s every move,” said DOJ Spokesperson Polo Martinez.

- Advertisement -

“Whether he is from the United States, has moved to another country or has moved within the [US], his passport will necessarily be stamped,” he added.

Yesterday, the DOJ confirmed the departure of Bonoan to accompany his wife for the latter’s medical procedure. As such, the travel will be until December 17, 2025.

Martinez explained that ILBO guarantees that every movement of any citizen under the said order will be monitored and reported by the proper authorities. 

Meanwhile, he clarified that while only courts have the power to issue hold departure orders (HDOs), the ILBO is sufficient measure by the government without infringing any constitutional right.

“The mere fact alone that they are on the list, when they move, we will see them immediately. They will be reported to us immediately, and if they do have a pending case, we can take the necessary measures not to allow them to leave the country,” said Martinez.

The DOJ vows immediate and expedited preliminary probe against respondents in the Bulacan ghost flood control projects which is set to begin on Friday.

“This is why we are ensuring that preliminary investigation for the five flood control cases under our jurisdiction is being pursued with immediacy and expediency because the sooner we are able to file it in court, then the sooner we can then request or move for the issuance of hold departure orders for these individuals,” Martinez said.

Earlier this week, the initial hearing related to the floor control corruption scandal was postponed following the suspension of work due to Typhoon Uwan (Fung-wong).

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img