Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

DOJ: No ICC arrest warrant yet for ‘Bato’

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday maintained that the International Criminal Court (ICC) has not yet issued an arrest warrant for Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa.

In a press briefing, Chief State Counsel Dennis Arvin L. Chan said they have not received a copy of the supposed ICC document.

- Advertisement -

“We are not closing the door on extradition or surrender per se, and until now we have not seen nor received a copy of this ICC warrant of arrest… What the DOJ just wants to explain [is] that there are two options available to the State under R.A. No. 9851 and that is extradition or surrender,” he said.

Last week, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla claimed that the ICC issued a warrant against Dela Rosa.

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III said the Senate will not allow the arrest of a senator within its premises.

The supposed warrant of arrest is in connection with the war on drugs under the former President Rodrigo Duterte, where Dela Rosa served as chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

In March, a warrant of arrest was issued against Duterte by the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I in “Secret” but was later reclassified as “Public”.

Later, the former president was surrendered to the ICC after being arrested by the authorities of the Republic of the Philippines in accordance with the warrant of arrest.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img