Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Tension erupts at Ombudsman amid protest

Tension gripped the Office of the Ombudsman in Quezon City on Wednesday when disaster survivors and police officers clashed during a protest over alleged corruption in flood control projects.

The rallyists, belonging to the People Surge National Alliance of Disaster Survivors, Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment, Kilusang Bayan Kontra Kurakot, and Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas, gathered outside the Ombudsman around 10 a.m. to demand an investigation into billions worth of government infrastructure and flood control budgets.

- Advertisement -

Personnel from the Quezon City Police District were deployed after protesters began banging on the agency’s gates. Police and demonstrators pushed each other as authorities tried to stop the groups from entering the compound.

The protesters called for “a full, independent, and transparent investigation” into 414 infrastructure projects worth P26.7 billion in Cebu, allegedly linked to favored contractors and budgetary irregularities under both the Marcos and Duterte administrations.

The protest later turned more heated when rallyists chased the convoy of Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla as it entered the compound, leading to a scuffle between demonstrators and police. Some protesters spray-painted images of Remulla, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Vice President Sara Duterte, and a contractor’s logo they accused of causing severe flooding in Cebu during Typhoon Tino.

“Tomorrow is the anniversary of Typhoon Yolanda. Twelve years later, our system is still rotten. Many are still dying because of corruption. With what is happening now, it seems that investigations never reach Malacañang,” said Bayan secretary-general Mong Palatino in Filipino.

In a statement, the Ombudsman said a special task force had already been directed to prioritize its investigation of flood control projects meant to prevent Typhoon Tino’s devastation.

“The Office of the Ombudsman stands in mourning with the nation for the lives lost in the devastation caused by Typhoon Tino. To the families of all victims of the calamity — we hear you, and we have acted,” the statement read.

It assured the public that “justice will be pursued with compassion, diligence, and resolve.”

In a separate interview, Justice Undersecretary Jesse said the government is capable of ensuring accountability in the anomalous flood control projects.

“The present legal framework and existing laws, together with our institutions, are capable of exacting accountability at all levels. We have already conducted interviews with DPWH officials on all aspects of operations, from planning and procurement to finance and payment,” he said.

The protest groups warned they would hold a larger demonstration at Luneta on November 30 if no action is taken.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img