Earlier this week, widespread flooding in Cebu City, caused by Typhoon Tino, reignited online discussions about The Rise at Monterrazas, a mountainside residential project linked to engineer and content creator Slater Young.
This renewed interest prompted netizens to revisit long-standing concerns about hillside development and water runoff in elevated communities.
Heavy rains triggered by the northeast monsoon and localized thunderstorms caused waist-deep flooding in several low-lying areas of Cebu City, prompting road closures, stranded commuters, and temporary class suspensions.
As of writing, no government agency has released any findings establishing a direct link between the development and the flooding. Officials primarily attributed the flooding to the unprecedented rainfall that overwhelmed their drainage systems during the storm. The renewed discussion has been driven largely by the heavy flooding caused by Typhoon Tino.
On Facebook, lawyer Jesus Falcis said an older post of his criticizing the project’s location began circulating again.
“When a few people started messaging me directly how the Monterrazas Cebu was indeed contributing to flooding, I realized that people must be searching the word Monterrazas and they see my post which eerily called out the problem of flooding two years ago. Asan na kaya si Slater Young?” he wrote.
On Threads, one user wrote, “Grabe yung baha sa Cebu. When you alter the mountainside, the water always finds a new path—and that path is down.”
Meanwhile, a widely shared Reddit comment read, “Any major development at the upper elevations affects what happens below. That’s basic hydrology.”
Concerns about slope stability and runoff in the area were previously documented in 2023. Reports from Interaksyon and Eco-Business quoted environmental planners warning that altering hillside terrain can accelerate water movement downslope.
Official MGB-7 geohazard maps also classify portions of Barangay Guadalupe as susceptible to rain-induced landslides and flooding due to natural slope and soil conditions.
In a Sept. 8, 2023 report by PEP, Slater acknowledged public concerns at the time.
“We understand why people are worried. The project is located on a slope and people are concerned about landslides and floods,“ he said.
PEP also reported that Slater said the development underwent geological and structural review, including rainwater catchment and runoff-control systems.
In another interview, he added that his team would “continue to listen” to community feedback.
As of writing, Slater has not issued a new public statement addressing the renewed discussions following Typhoon Tino’s flooding.







