Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Over 2.1 million food packs ready for Typhoon ‘Tino’ response—DSWD

Even before Typhoon ‘Tino’ entered the Philippines, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said it has prepositioned more than 2.1 million family food packs (FFPs) in key areas across the country as part of its Buong Bansa Handa (BBH) program.

Through the BBH program, the DSWD ensures that adequate volume of food and non-food items are ready for distribution in regional, provincial, and municipal warehouses, especially in areas expected to be hit by Typhoon Tino.

- Advertisement -

Assistant Secretary Irene Dumlao of the DSWD Disaster Response Management Group (DRMG) said the department, through its field offices, has begun preparations as early as last week.

“Since last week, we have been monitoring this weather phenomenon and are regularly coordinating with PAGASA to understand the forecast track of Typhoon Tino,” said Dumlao, who is also DSWD spokesperson.

Currently, there are over 128,000 family food packs ready for distribution in Region 8 (Eastern Visayas); about 89,000 food packs in Region 6 (Western Visayas); and more than 81,000 food packs in the CARAGA region.

“That’s the value of prepositioning. Anytime, we are ready because—as President Marcos Jr. keeps on saying—we must maintain peace of mind of our people and none of them will go hungry in the midst of calamity,” Dumlao pointed out.

The DSWD spokesperson assured the public that the department has an efficient replenishment mechanism, especially in the Visayas. The Visayas Disaster Resource Center (VDRC) in Mandaue City in Cebu produces between 18,000 and 20,000 food packs daily.

Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 4 has been issued in several areas in Caraga, prompting residents in coastal and low-lying communities to find safer locations as Typhoon Tino approaches land.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) has warned of storm surges exceeding three meters in several parts of Visayas and Mindanao.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Operations Center (NDRRMOC) has been placed under Red Alert as of 8 a.m. Monday, (November 3) to strengthen coordination and monitoring among government agencies.

Dumlao reminded the public to heed government advisories for safety. Despite various emergencies across the country, the DSWD continues to assist all affected families, including those in geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas, she said.

Meanwhile, Dumlao assured the public that the food items inside the family food packs and ready-to-eat food boxes comply with the nutritional requirements for internally displaced persons (IDPs) affected by disasters.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img