Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Ombudsman bares Martires documents on Villanueva’s graft case

The Office of the Ombudsman on Thursday released previous resolutions related to the complaints filed against Senator Joel Villanueva over the alleged misuse of his ₱10-million Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla authorized the publication of the 2019 decision of his predecessor Samuel Martires, which reversed a 2016 ruling that had earlier found probable cause to indict Villanueva and several others for malversation of public funds, malversation through falsification of documents, and violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act (Republic Act 3019).

- Advertisement -

The 2019 Martires ruling overturned the earlier decision of former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, who had ordered Villanueva’s dismissal from government service after finding him guilty of grave misconduct, serious dishonesty, and conduct prejudicial to the interest of the service.

The allegations stemmed from his supposed role in a ₱10-million pork barrel scam when he was still a party-list representative for Citizens’ Battle Against Corruption (CIBAC).

According to Martires’ resolution, there was no probable cause to charge Villanueva, as investigators failed to show that he was involved in the alleged embezzlement of ₱9.7 million in public funds.

He noted that Villanueva’s signatures in the acceptance reports for the distribution of agribusiness materials were “obviously forged.”

“There is no sufficient evidence on record to show that Villanueva and others were involved in the alleged plot to defraud the government,” Martires wrote. “In fact, no part of the P9,700,000 was shown to have been taken by the aforementioned respondents.”

The resolution also emphasized that an in-depth investigation should have been conducted—with the assistance of law enforcement agencies—to identify the real perpetrators and determine the source of the falsified documents bearing Villanueva’s name.

Remulla said he decided to release the documents “for the information of the public,” fulfilling his earlier commitment to make the reversal order of Martires and the dismissal order of Carpio-Morales accessible.

The Ombudsman has said his office is eyeing to refile the graft case Villanueva.

“We will review it. We might have to refile the case. There is no double jeopardy here,” Remulla said in a mix of English and Filipino during an interview with veteran journalist Luchi Cruz-Valdez.

“For now, we will have to study. We have to study again,” he added.

The Ombudsman also made available copies of the 2016 Carpio-Morales ruling, which had found probable cause to indict Villanueva and others for malversation of public funds, malversation through falsification of public documents, and violation of Section 3(e) of Republic Act 3019.

The order recommended that corresponding charges be filed before the Sandiganbayan.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Remulla publishes Martires ruling on Villanueva pork barrel case”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img