Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Dizon admits some projects only worsened flooding in Metro Manila

Several flood control projects in Metro Manila failed to serve their purpose and, in some cases, even worsened flooding in certain areas, Public Works and Highways Secretary Vince Dizon on Monday said.

He said many of these projects—particularly revetments and dikes—were poorly planned and executed, leading to unintended consequences such as worse flooding for nearby communities.

- Advertisement -

“Many of the flood control projects not only did not help — in some cases, they even caused harm,” Dizon said.

“There are areas that used to not flood, but now that so-called flood control projects have been built, the situation has worsened,” he added.

He cited complaints from local government leaders, including Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte, that certain structures caused flooding in previously unaffected areas.

Last month, Belmonte lamented the first phase of the Matalahib Creek Pumping Station project in Sto. Domingo, Quezon City worsened flooding in the area.

“This is one of the problematic projects because it was built right on top of the creek. And it’s subtracting the flow of the water,” the mayor said.

Dizon linked the problem to corruption and the lack of technical integrity in the implementation of past projects.

“It seems these projects were used for anomalous reasons,” he added.

Dizon said a large-scale clearing of waterways in Metro Manila, Bulacan, and other flood-prone areas will begin in the coming weeks as part of efforts to improve drainage and prevent water obstruction.

As this developed, Dizon said he has already ordered a nationwide halt to all road re-blocking activities as the agency reviews the integrity and necessity of such projects, citing concerns over the destruction of roads still in good condition.

Dizon made the remarks during the DPWH budget hearing in the Senate, noting the suspension will remain in effect until the department issues new guidelines that will set stricter rules on how and when re-blocking should be carried out.

“We all know that when a road is destroyed and rebuilt unnecessarily, there’s usually money involved,” he said.

“If any district engineer continues these projects without approval, they will face consequences,” Dizon added.

Earlier in the day, Senator Erwin Tulfo criticized the recurring re-blocking of still serviceable roads, calling for tighter auditing of government infrastructure projects to prevent wasteful spending.

“They would say that (road) was just finished, just inaugurated, and next month it will be dug up again. After that, they’ll work on it again, dig it up again,” Tulfo said. 

“It’s the same road, the same street, the same municipality, but it keeps getting torn up even when there’s no problem,” the senator said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img