The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Thursday said it has not yet received a formal request from the Department of Education (DepEd) to deploy its engineering corps for the construction of classrooms.
“Nonetheless, we remain ready to support government initiatives when officially directed and consistent with our mandate,” AFP Public Affairs chief Col. Xerxes Trinidad said in a statement.
Trinidad also noted that AFP engineering units are currently being transformed into combat engineer units “to strengthen capabilities for territorial defense and security operations.”
The DepEd on Tuesday lamented that only 22 classrooms were built so far out of the 1,700 target for this year, adding that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) under the previous leadership might have been too busy with their flood control projects.
Education Secretary Sonny Angara said he was seeking system changes since only the DPWH “has the power” to build DepEd classrooms.
Malacañang on Wednesday said President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. already ordered a coordinated effort among members of the DPWH, DepEd, and local government units (LGUs) to accelerate the construction of classrooms nationwide.
Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said the initiative follows President Marcos’ directive to provide direct funding to LGUs for the construction of classrooms to resolve the country’s classroom shortage as quickly as possible







