Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Jail ready for flood infra culprits

DILG: 200 may be detained; Ombudsman: Probe starts this week

The jail facility for individuals who will be indicted for their involvement in anomalous flood control projects is now ready, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla on Monday said.

Remulla, who inspected the New Quezon City Jail in Payatas, said he believes up to 200 people were involved in the infrastructure corruption mess.

- Advertisement -

“I want to show that the BJMP (Bureau of Jail Management and Penology) is ready, the facilities are ready, that we will not back down from our obligation to fulfill our duties as in-charge of all the prisons here in the Philippines,” the Interior chief said.

Malacañang, however, said the number of individuals who might be detained may go even higher than Remulla’s estimate.

“Is it really only two hundred? Let’s take a look because the investigation isn’t finished yet,” Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro said in a Palace briefing.

“If he (Remulla) thinks that way, they’ve estimated it, the government is ready if they should be jailed,” she added.

For his part, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla said his office will start this week with its preliminary investigation into six cases of questionable flood control projects—one in Oriental Mindoro and five in Bulacan.

He said the cases lodged before the Ombudsman cover five flood control projects in Bulacan turned over by the Department of Justice on October 14.

Last month, the Independent Commission for Infrastructure also submitted its first report to the Ombudsman in connection with the alleged anomalous P289.5-million flood control project in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro.

In a 32-page report, the ICI urged the Ombudsman to determine what charges must be filed against 18 public officials, including Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Elizaldy Co, in connection with the questionable Oriental Mindoro flood control project.

The Ombudsman said he will “form panels that will conduct the preliminary investigation” this week.

The Sandiganbayan, on the other hand, sought to expedite the filing of criminal cases and clearing of dockets in preparation for the filing of cases by the Ombudsman against those involved in anomalous flood control projects.

“In anticipation of the cases to be filed by the Ombudsman, the Sandiganbayan is currently in the process of drafting new rules on expedited procedure, which will be pilot tested upon the approval of the Supreme Court,” Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice Geraldine Econg said.

Meanwhile, the DILG chief said the fail facility in Payatas has at least 10 bunk beds per room with one bathroom, a shower and a toilet.

There is also an area where prisoners can exercise and get some sunlight, Interior Secretary Remulla said.

He said visitors can bring food for the prisoners at least five times a week, except during Mondays and Fridays.

“What can be brought is food that is already cooked. You can’t cook here. There are quarters here for them to confer with their lawyers. We will put up 10 rooms and cubicles where they can have private conversations,” he said.

“The rules of the jail will apply to the rich and to the poor the same. There will be no cell phones. There will be no computers,” Remulla added.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Jail quarters for flood control conspirators ready”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img