The Philippines on Friday marked the eighth anniversary of the liberation of Marawi City with a wreath-laying ceremony at Kampo Ranao, led by the Province of Lanao del Sur and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
The event, themed “Marawi 8: Sa Tapang, Sa Pagbangon, Sa Kapayapaan,” honored the heroism of soldiers, responders, and civilians who fought in the 2017 siege, while underscoring continuing efforts toward recovery and peace.
Governor Mamintal Adiong Jr. led the commemoration, pledging sustained initiatives to rebuild lives, restore trust, and preserve peace across Lanao del Sur. Brig. Gen. Felix Ronnie Babac of the AFP praised the province’s partnership with the military, calling it a model for post-conflict recovery.
Both the provincial government and the AFP reaffirmed their commitment to a whole-of-nation approach in sustaining peace and inclusive development in Marawi, Lanao del Sur, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), ensuring that the city’s liberation remains a lasting symbol of courage and resilience.
Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr. also paid tribute to the government forces who fought to free the city.
“As we commemorate this fateful day, let us not forget to honor the men and women who laid their lives on the line, with some of them making the ultimate sacrifice, to liberate Marawi from its captors,” Galvez said.
He lauded the “extraordinary courage” of the Maranao people to overcome trauma and rebuild their lives, adding that the national government’s peacebuilding efforts complement its rehabilitation programs.
“May our Maranao brothers and sisters continue to walk the path of peace, as the Marcos administration stands firmly behind your efforts to build back a better, brighter, and more peaceful future for your homeland,” he added.
In August, the Marawi Reconstruction Conflict Watch (MRCW) appealed to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and lawmakers to allocate greater funding in the 2026 national budget to speed up compensation for internally displaced persons (IDPs).
Data from the Marawi Compensation Board showed that only 2,178 of 14,495 claims had been processed as of August 2025, leaving more than 12,000 claims—worth about P20 billion—unpaid.
“We call for decisive actions such as increasing the programmed budget for Marawi compensation, providing a real-time updating system for claimants, and prioritizing the rebuilding of essential health and educational facilities damaged by the war,” the MRCW said.
The Marawi siege, launched by the Maute Group in May 2017, lasted several months before then-President Rodrigo Duterte declared the city liberated in October of that year.







