Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Riot police hold rallyists as tensions flare at Ayala Bridge

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. is fully aware of the tension between protesters and security forces near Ayala Bridge on Sunday, a Palace official said, as police moved to disperse rallyists close to the Malacañang complex.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro, in a televised interview, said those who instigated the confrontation should be held accountable.

- Advertisement -

A contributed video from the scene showed a group of masked rallyists setting fire to the tires of a parked container truck and throwing stones and debris at stationed cops at Ayala Bridge.

Security forces were seen driving away demonstrators who disrupted activities near the Malacañang area. 

The Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police, and the Presidential Security Command had been deployed earlier in the day to tighten control around the presidential compound.

PNP placed its forces on full alert ahead of the protests, citing the need to maintain public order and safety. Authorities have repeatedly assured “maximum tolerance” in handling the demonstrations, which remain largely peaceful despite reports of clashes near Ayala Bridge.

Castro reiterated Malacañang’s stance that the government respects the right to peaceful assembly but warned against those using rallies to incite violence or destabilize the administration.

Rioters set truck tires on fire as tensions flare during anti-corruption protests in Mendiola near the gates of Malacañang in Manila on September 21, 2025. (Photo by Norman Cruz)

The PNP confirmed incidents of stone-throwing and fire starting at Ayala corner Romualdez streets in Mendiola, where around 300 to 400 protesters gathered. Initial reports said 17 were held responsible for the riotous acts, who are now in the custody of the Manila Police District.

“Firefighters and police personnel responded immediately, and the situation is now contained. Appropriate charges are being readied for filing against those involved,” the PNP said in a statement.

“We respect the public’s right to peaceful assembly, but we strongly appeal to everyone to remain calm and refrain from violence. Such actions endanger lives and undermine the message of those who wish to protest peacefully,” it added.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img