Minority senators on Monday dismissed reports of a supposed “counter-coup” against the new leadership of Senate President Vicente Sotto III.
Senator Imee Marcos said rumors of a planned power shift were unfounded and that the minority bloc was focused on other concerns.
“No, none. We’re not talking about anything like that. What we’re only talking about is staying alive. It’s the largest minority in the recent history of the Senate, I’m told,” she said.
Sen. Marcos added that members were still adjusting after Senator Francis Escudero was unseated as Senate president in a leadership shakeup last week.
Sotto was elected Senate president on Sept. 8, replacing Escudero, while Senator Panfilo Lacson became Senate president pro tempore, succeeding Senator Jinggoy Estrada.
Sen. Marcos also said she had no objection to investigations into senators implicated in alleged irregularities in flood control projects.
She emphasized that inquiries should cover all those involved, including allies and close family friends, to ensure accountability.
“I’ve maintained the same position ever since. Everyone should be investigated, even allies. If something is really wrong, it’s wrong. Correct what is wrong, and we must fight for what is right,” Sen. Marcos added.
Senator Rodante Marcoleta also denied knowledge of any plan to destabilize the chamber’s leadership, saying such rumors did not come from their group.
Meanwhile, Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano said the bloc’s role was to offer constructive alternatives rather than simply criticize.
He said the opposition would push for swift and practical solutions while continuing to provide checks on the majority.







