THE National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) yesterday announced that 2,250 police officers will be deployed to provide security on Black Friday (Sept. 13) amid intelligence reports that protests would be staged in some areas in Metro Manila over questionable flood control projects.
In a press briefing held at Camp Crame, NCRPO spokesperson Maj. Hazel Asilo said they have received reports that some rallies will be held in Mendiola, near the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) both in Manila, and along EDSA, as well as the Senate and House of Representatives.
“We have 2,250 personnel to be deployed for Friday. Because we have already monitored that there will be four activities, this is what we are preparing for, although we are not sure of the specific locations yet. Right now we have one in Manila, there is also one on EDSA, so this is what we are monitoring, but with regards to which of them have permits, there are none yet,” Asilo said.
She added that maximum tolerance will be observed during the protests to ward off untoward incidents.
In related development, Quezon City Police District (QCPD) officer-in-charge Col. Randy Glenn Silvio said Police Station 6 was preparing a possible complaint for alarm and scandal, and violation of Batas Pambansa 880 or Public Assembly Act of 1985 against some of the personalities identified during the protest outside the House of Representatives that resulted in injuries of some police officers last week.
“Police Station 6 is already preparing to file the case. One PNCO and the battalion commander suffered head injuries, while the others only had scratches. They were just minor injuries,” Silvio said in the same press briefing.
“We will check because we coordinated with the organizers. They said they will give names, and we are waiting for that list of identities. I think they are from Southern Tagalog,” he added.
During the rally, protesters also threw objects at the Batasang Pambansa’s south gate, while policemen warded off the projectiles with anti-riot shields.
While the proposed 2026 budget of the DPWH was being discussed at the House, protesters from Kabataan, Alliance of Concerned Teachers, Bayan Muna, and other progressive organizations staged a protest outside the Batasang Pambansa, demanding that people responsible for the flood control mess be held accountable.
“It’s just part of managing our security plans for all events. It’s normal for us to have a conservative deployment here to prevent similar incidents from happening and to protect our constituents,” Silvio said.







