Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla on Monday pushed back against China’s issuance of a cautionary advisory to its citizens visiting the Philippines, stressing that Manila does not interfere in the affairs of other countries and expects the same respect in return.
“We don’t make any claims about their country, so why would they make claims about us?” Remulla said when asked about Beijing’s advisory.
He pointed out that official records show crime rates in the Philippines are on a downward trend, attributing the decline to stronger intelligence and enforcement networks.
While acknowledging the persistence of isolated crime incidents, he said it was improper for another country to interfere in the Philippines’ sovereign affairs.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) also dismissed China’s recent travel advisories, saying they mischaracterize the security situation in the Philippines.
In a statement released Monday, the DFA said reported crimes, including those committed by Chinese nationals against fellow Chinese citizens, are “being vigorously addressed by law enforcement authorities.”
“The Philippine government has been engaging with relevant stakeholders on these cases,” the statement said.
The DFA added that the Philippines remains committed to constructively addressing matters of mutual concern with China, recalling the recently concluded 9th Philippines-China Joint Consular Consultation Meeting, where both sides discussed security issues and agreed to deepen law enforcement cooperation.
On Sunday, the Chinese Embassy in Manila warned its citizens about crimes “targeting Chinese nationals” and urged them to monitor local security, exercise caution, and avoid high-risk areas.
It also advised travelers to conduct risk assessments before visiting the Philippines. An earlier advisory had been issued for Chinese students intending to study in the country.







