Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

DOJ moves to admit alias ‘Totoy’ as state witness

Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said government prosecutors will move to discharge Julie Patidongan, the whistleblower in the missing sabungeros case, as one of the accused in the kidnapping and serious illegal detention complaints pending before the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 40.

“We will ask the court to discharge him as a state witness later on,” Remulla told reporters on Monday.

- Advertisement -

The DOJ chief also said the evaluation process on separate murder complaints filed by the families of the missing cockfighting enthusiasts is still ongoing.

“It is still being evaluated,” he said.

Remulla added that the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) recently briefed Department of Justice (DOJ) officials on its continuing search operations in Taal Lake, Batangas, where the sabungeros were allegedly buried.

“This morning we had a briefing from the Coast Guard and they just described to us the work that they do and they gave us a briefer on the work going on, because there have been 40 days of diving already,” he said.

He disclosed that divers found “positive” indications in one area.

At least 34 sabungeros went missing between April 2021 and January 2022 after participating in e-sabong games and cockfighting derbies across Metro Manila and Southern Tagalog.

The high-profile case has since prompted the government to ban online cockfighting operations due to links with criminal syndicates.

The DOJ previously filed kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges against several suspects, including law enforcement officers allegedly involved in the abductions. However, only a handful of suspects have been arrested, while others remain at large. Families of the victims have repeatedly appealed for swifter government action.

In an earlier statement, Remulla said the government was determined to “unravel the truth behind the disappearances” and ensure accountability. The case has been closely monitored by both the Senate and the Commission on Human Rights, which have urged the DOJ to pursue all leads and provide protection for witnesses willing to testify.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img