The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) announced Friday the survey of the 17 applicants for the position of Ombudsman.
In a social media post, the JBC said the online survey will be available until August 26 before 4:30 p.m.
Among the applicants are the following personalities:
- Michael Aguinaldo – former chairman, Commission on Audit
- Romeo Benitez – Undersecretary, Department of Interior and Local Government
- Jonie Caroche-Vestido – lawyer, JVC Law Office
- Bautista Corpin, Jr. – Associate Justice, Court of Appeals (CA)
- Stephen Cruz – retired Associate Justice, CA
- Geraldine Faith Econg – Presiding Justice, Sandiganbayan
- Beda Epres – Commissioner, Commission on Human Rights (CHR)
- Samuel Gaerlan – Associate Justice, Supreme Court
- Kim Jacinto-Henares – former Commissioner, Bureau of Internal Revenue
- Anna Liza Logan – Deputy Executive Secretary, Office of the President
- Mario Lopez – retired Associate Justice, Supreme Court
- Melvin Matibag – secretary-general, PDP-Laban
- Michael Frederick Musngi – Associate Justice, Sandiganbayan
- Jesus Crispin Remulla – Secretary, Department of Justice
- Felix Reyes – chairman, Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office
- Jason Rodenas – Presiding Judge, Municipal Trial Court (Daraga, Albay)
- Benjamin Turgano – retired judge, Regional Trial Court
Earlier this week, Remulla said he remains determined to clinch the Ombudsman post amid reports of his disqualification, which the Supreme Court denied.
An online news report claimed that the DOJ chief had been removed from the list of contenders due to a pending case against him.
If appointed, Remulla will serve for seven years or until 2032.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. appointed former Court of Appeals Presiding Justice Mariflor Punzalan-Castillo as acting Ombudsman after the retirement of Ombudsman Samuel Martires last month.







