The Philippines will continue its maritime missions in the West Philippine Sea despite what officials described as “serious” threats following two recent incidents involving Chinese vessels at Bajo de Masinloc, Malacañang asserted.
Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro said Tuesday that any form of harassment in the area is treated with urgency because lives are at stake.
“Whatever type of harassment, it’s serious because lives are at stake,” she told reporters.
“But the President will not back down. We will not be aggressive, only defensive. Any plans to help our fishermen will not change and will continue,” she added.
Castro confirmed that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had been briefed on Monday’s events, one in which two Chinese vessels collided while chasing a Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) ship, and another in which the Chinese Coast Guard allegedly used water cannons on Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) vessels.
The PCG’s BRP Suluan and BFAR vessels were initially expected to remain in the area for several more days but returned early due to heightened tensions.
Castro declined to provide operational details but said security concerns prompted the move.
Mr. Marcos commended the Coast Guard for offering medical assistance to the Chinese crew despite the pursuit.
“Even if we feel harassed, Filipinos will still help in times of distress,” Castro said.
China’s Foreign Ministry on Monday accused the Philippines of infringing on its sovereignty, calling the missions “provocative” and the source of tensions. Beijing said its actions were aimed at safeguarding its sovereignty.
Castro declined to respond directly, saying the Department of Foreign Affairs would handle the matter, and reiterated that the Philippines is guided by the 2016 arbitral ruling that invalidated China’s sweeping claims in the South China Sea.
“In every fight, we will not back down because Filipinos are brave,” she said, adding that Manila’s approach remains focused on defending its rights while avoiding unnecessary escalation.
Scarborough Shoal, located about 120 nautical miles from Zambales province, has been a flashpoint in the maritime dispute between Manila and Beijing since a 2012 standoff that resulted in Chinese control of the area.







