Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

PBBM suspends rice imports for 60 days starting Sept. 1

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered a 60-day suspension of all rice imports starting September 1, 2025 to protect local farmers struggling with plummeting palay prices during the current harvest season, Malacañang on Wednesday said.

Basmati and other fancy rice varieties, however, are not covered by the 60-day import suspension, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said, noting that temporary import ban applies only to regular milled and well-milled rice.

- Advertisement -

Mr. Marcos added it was not yet time to start talks on revising tariffs on imported rice, Presidential Communications Office Secretary Dave Gomez said.

“We will still see if we need to resort to that,” Gomez said. “Right now, the decision is to suspend all rice importation for 60 days beginning Sept. 1. That is the order of our President to help our rice farmers.”

Tiu Laurel agreed, saying the temporary ban was a “measured response” to the challenges currently faced by rice farmers, especially amid reports that some traders are buying palay at just P8 per kilo, far below the average cost of production.

“The suspension is a more calibrated action, one that we can quickly reverse if needed. It gives us the flexibility to act fast to protect both our farmers and our consumers. A premature tariff hike, on the other hand, could backfire and would take much longer to undo,” Tiu Laurel said.

“We are walking a tightrope here. The stakes are high for both our farmers and the Filipino people, so it’s crucial that we strike the right balance,” he added.

The temporary suspension is authorized under the Rice Tariffication Law, which allows the President to temporarily halt or restrict imports to stabilize local prices.

The DA had earlier proposed a tariff increase on rice imports, from the current 15 percent back to 25 percent, and eventually to 35 percent.

But with the President’s decision to hold off discussions on the proposed tariff hike, Tiu Laurel said the DA will use the 60-day window to monitor developments in palay farmgate prices and overall market behavior.

“If this strategy leads to higher farmgate prices and better income for our farmers, we may no longer need to raise the tariff. What matters most is that we make a well-informed decision because millions of lives depend on the outcome,” he said.

However, a group of stakeholders in the rice industry on Wednesday called on the government to conduct consultations and provide clear guidelines on the planned 60-day suspension of rice importation, warning of possible supply gaps and confusion among importers and traders.

Philippine Rice Industry Stakeholders Movement (PRISM) co-founder Orlando Manuntag said while they fully support the government’s goal of protecting local farmers, the import ban must be thoroughly studied amid recent weather disturbances and the country’s current rice supply status.

“We agree with the government’s thrust to increase tariffs to protect our farmers. But suspending rice imports needs to be reviewed carefully. We’re already dealing with typhoons and climate disruptions. We need clear guidelines,” he said.

Manuntag pointed to concerns about the sufficiency of the country’s rice supply, with government data showing that the Philippines’ rice self-sufficiency level has hovered at around 78 percent since 2023, far below the 100 percent mark needed to be fully self-reliant.

“This means we have a 22-percent gap in domestic supply. Last year, we imported 4.8 million metric tons of rice. This year, the USDA projects 5 million metric tons. As of July, we’re only at 2.4 million metric tons,” he said.

The group warned that suspending imports for two months could put pressure on the country’s buffer stock, especially with the National Food Authority holding only eight to nine days’ worth of rice as of recent estimates.

Daily rice consumption in the Philippines averages around 37,000 metric tons, or roughly 740,000 cavans.

Manuntag warned that if imports are halted while harvest is still peaking, there could be serious challenges in maintaining a stable supply and prices.

He also called on the government to provide a recommended buying price for palay, noting that current market prices range from P13 to P14 per kilo, well below the 2023 cost of production of P13.40 per kilo.

He said without a set price, traders might hesitate to buy while farmers might sell at a loss.

The Federation of Free Farmers welcomed efforts to protect farmers, but said these should have been done earlier.

“On one hand, we’re pleased that the government has finally acknowledged the problem and is considering steps to address it,” said Raul Montemayor, national manager of the Federation of Free Farmers Cooperatives Inc., in an interview with dzBB.

“But on the other hand, why did they wait so long to act? Most farmers have already sold at low prices—this season’s damage has been done. Still, better late than never,” he added.

However, agricultural group Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura (SINAG) said the temporary import ban will have minimal effect.

“Importers can simply advance or delay their shipments to work around the suspension, especially since the tariff rate remains at a low 15 percent…Despite the temporary halt, palay prices are expected to remain depressed, and farmers will continue to incur loss. In reality, the measure does little to protect local producers or stabilize the rice market,” said Jayson Cainglet, SINAG executive director of SINAG.

He said only a tariff hike to bring import rates back to 35 percent will be truly beneficial to farmers.

Still, NFA administrator Larry Lacson noted that the announcement of the temporary ban on rice imports immediately pushed palay prices up in Bulacan.

“So much imported rice has arrived in the country, and this is the reason why palay prices remain depressed,” Lacson told ABS-CBN News.

For his part, Speaker Martin Romualdez called the suspension of the rice importation for 60 days a timely move “to protect Filipino farmers and give the nation a chance to realign its priorities on food security.”

“This is more than just a policy shift. This is about standing up for the Filipino farmers—about telling the world that we will not allow those who feed us to be left behind,” he said.

“Our farmers have been struggling for too long. Every harvest season, they watch the market collapse under the weight of imported rice. This suspension gives us a chance to breathe, reset, and act decisively,” Romualdez added.

He reiterated his commitment to shepherd House Bill No. 1, also known as the “RICE Act,” which seeks to return regulatory powers to the NFA, give the government greater flexibility in managing imports, and establish a fair price for palay that honors the hard work of farmers.

“At the end of the day, rice is not just a commodity—it’s the heart of every Filipino meal. When prices soar or when farmers suffer, it’s the Filipino family that feels it the most,” Romualdez said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img