The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Command (Wescom) has mobilized its air and naval assets to search for possible debris from a Chinese rocket that reportedly flew over Palawan earlier this week.
Col. Napoleon Padua, Wescom spokesperson, told reporters that the search operations began Tuesday in the Sulu Sea, specifically between the eastern coast of mainland Palawan and the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park.
As of Wednesday morning, no debris has been found.
“A naval vessel and a rotary aircraft were deployed in the Sulu Sea, roughly between the eastern side of mainland Palawan and Tubbataha,” Padua said, adding, “Another rotary aircraft was deployed to continue the search for the possible debris. We are still waiting for developments.”
The effort follows reports of a visible condensation trail and loud explosions heard by residents on Monday, linked to a Chinese rocket launch.
Padua said the AFP is taking the threat seriously and will continue the search “until the debris is found or the operation becomes impractical to continue.”
“The debris could pose danger if civilians come into contact with it. We’re urging residents, especially fishermen, not to touch any unfamiliar object at sea and to report sightings to local authorities or Wescom,” he added.
There are no confirmed reports from local communities or fishermen regarding debris sightings.
No timeline has been set for the duration of the search. Operations will continue until further notice.
The AFP declined to disclose the exact naval vessel deployed, citing operational security.
On Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) issued an advisory warning the public about potential debris from China’s Long March 12 rocket.
On Tuesday, the Philippine Coast Guard confirmed that loud, explosion-like sounds off eastern Palawan were linked to a scheduled Chinese rocket launch on August 4, held at the Hainan International Commercial Launch Center in Wenchang, Hainan Province.
This is not the first time Chinese rocket launches have impacted the Philippines. Past launches have also resulted in debris falling within Philippine waters, including one in the West Philippine Sea two years ago.
The latest incident has reignited maritime safety concerns, especially amid ongoing regional tensions.







