Basmati and other fancy rice varieties are not covered by the 60-day import suspension, Agriculture Secretary Francisco P. Tiu Laurel Jr. clarified Wednesday, noting that the ban ordered by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. applies only to regular milled and well-milled rice.
The Department of Agriculture (DA) said the suspension will take effect on September 1, 2025, as part of efforts to shield local farmers from plunging palay prices ahead of the peak harvest season in September and October.
“The suspension is a more calibrated action, one that we can quickly reverse if needed. It gives us the flexibility to act fast to protect both our farmers and our consumers. A premature tariff hike, on the other hand, could backfire and would take much longer to undo,” Tiu Laurel said.
He emphasized that the temporary ban is a “measured response” to the challenges currently faced by rice farmers, especially amid reports that some traders are buying palay at just P8 per kilo, far below the average cost of production.
“We are walking a tightrope here. The stakes are high for both our farmers and the Filipino people, so it’s crucial that we strike the right balance,” he emphasized.
The move is authorized under the Rice Tariffication Law, which allows the President to temporarily halt or restrict imports to stabilize local prices.
The DA had earlier proposed a tariff increase on rice imports, from the current 15 percent back to 25 percent, and eventually to 35 percent.
However, President Marcos opted to hold off on the hike to assess the impact of the temporary import suspension first.
Tiu Laurel said the DA will use the 60-day window to monitor developments in palay farmgate prices and overall market behavior.
“If this strategy leads to higher farmgate prices and better income for our farmers, we may no longer need to raise the tariff. What matters most is that we make a well-informed decision because millions of lives depend on the outcome,” he said.







