Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

AFP says hazing, physical abuse not tolerated amid probe into soldier’s death

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Tuesday issued a statement on its firm opposition to hazing and other forms of “degrading treatment” following the death of 22-year-old Pvt. Charlie Patigayon in Maguindanao del Norte last week.

“The AFP is a professional institution built on discipline, integrity, and respect for human dignity. We do not and will never tolerate hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment, or any form of degrading treatment,” the AFP said.

- Advertisement -

Patigayon reportedly collapsed on July 30 while undergoing reception rites at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat. He died the following day.

Reception rites are a series of physical exercises required of new soldiers upon reporting to their assigned units.

In response to the incident, two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have been relieved from their posts as an investigation into Patigayon’s death is underway.

According to the military, AFP Chief Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. has already issued a “clear and uncompromising directive” to all units to uphold the highest standards of military conduct and discipline, and reject all forms of hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment, and degrading treatment.

“The AFP remains fully committed to cultivating a culture of professionalism, mutual respect, and accountability. All personnel, regardless of rank or tenure, must be treated with dignity in every setting, whether in training, duty, ceremonies, or daily interactions,” the AFP concluded.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img