Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

PBBM hits corrupt officials

‘Shame on you’: ‘Ghost’ flood control projects, substandard infra

PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. lambasted officials involved in substandard or even “ghost” flood-control projects, especially after the series of typhoons that left a trail of devastation across several parts of the country.

In what was the most applauded part of his midterm State of the Nation Address (SONA), the President did not mince words in shaming corrupt officials, along with rice hoarders and profiteers, service providers liable for water and power interruptions, and those responsible for substandard infrastructure projects.

- Advertisement -

“Shame on you. Be ashamed because our fellow Filipinos were swept by floods or were submerged in floodwaters. Be ashamed of our children who will inherit that debt incurred because of what you committed, because you pocketed the funds,” he said.

“Let us not pretend anymore. The whole public already knows the racketeering going on involving the projects – kickbacks, initiative, errata, SOP (standard operating procedures), ‘for the boys.’”

Militants burned the effigy of the President. Ferdinand R. MarcosJr. VP Sara Duterte along the commonwealth philcoa area during the 4th State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. Monday July 28,2025…MANNY PALMERO

“Recently, I inspected the effects of the southwest monsoon, cyclones Crising, Dante and Emong. I clearly saw for myself that many flood control projects were failures, and there were others that existed just in the imagination,” Mr. Marcos said.

His strong message came even as Mr. Marcos issued a unity call to all lawmakers, saying the result of the May midterm polls where the administration slate secured fewer than expected seats in the Senate showed Filipinos are unhappy with politicking and find government service delivery slow.

“For all of us here, let us set aside our differences and let us unite on three things that bind us all: our being Filipino, our being patriots, and our sworn duty to serve the people,” Mr. Marcos said.

“The message of the election results is clear to me: Our people are disappointed and dismayed with the government, especially when it comes to frontline services. The lesson for us is simple: We need to do better, and we need to do it faster,” he added.

Substandard, ‘ghost’ flood-control projects

The President ordered the Department of Public Works and Highways to submit a list of all flood control projects from every region that were started or completed in the last three years.

“Second, the regional project monitoring committee shall examine that list of projects and give a report on those that had been failures, those that were not finished, and those that were alleged to be ghost projects,” he said.

“The public needs to know the truth. People must be held accountable for the massive flooding and the corruption that led to this,” the President added.

He said he would reject any proposed item in the 2026 national budget that is not fully aligned with the government’s National Expenditure Program (NEP), adding he is prepared to return the bill to Congress even if it results in a reenacted budget.

No more low-quality infra projects

The President also warned there is no room for corruption in implementing infrastructure projects under the “Build Better More” program.

This, as he expressed dismay over the deteriorating state of critical infrastructures, such as the Cabagan-Sta. Maria Bridge in Isabela and the San Juanico Bridge that stretches from Samar to Leyte Island.

He lamented that the Cabagan-Sta. Maria Bridge was “destroyed so quickly” even after it was retrofitted.

He also expressed disappointment over the failure to properly maintain the San Juanico Bridge, the longest bridge along the Pan-Philippine Highway, which was built in August 1969 and completed in 1973 to connect Luzon and Mindanao.

“In projects, we will not tolerate and allow corruption in supervision, design and construction failures, low-quality and fragile materials, project delays, and neglect of proper maintenance and repair,” Mr. Marcos said.

“This should not be the case. In ‘Build Better More,’ the welfare and safety of the people are of utmost importance. Projects must be designed correctly. They must be of high quality. They must be completed on time. And they must be well cared for and maintained,” he added.

Water woes hit

The President also vowed firm government action against those responsible for poor water delivery in the country.

He said he had personally reviewed the report from the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) detailing widespread complaints against several water districts and their private partners.

“I have seen the report. LWUA is taking steps against the poor service of water districts and their joint venture partners. LWUA will ensure that water services for millions of our countrymen are restored and prices are made more affordable,” he said.

“Above all, we will ensure that those who neglect and fail in this important public service are held accountable,” he added.

Malacañang earlier confirmed that the President approved the recommendation of LWUA amid the mounting complaints over water service interruptions involving the private water utility firm PrimeWater Infrastructure Corporation.

This, after several local governments and consumers have raised issues over PrimeWater’s service quality.

Economic sabotage charges for agri price manipulators

The President likewise promised to take decisive action against unscrupulous traders who would manipulate the prices of agricultural commodities, especially rice.

“I warn traders who try to manipulate the price of palay or rice, or cheat farmers. We will go after you, because what you are doing is considered economic sabotage,” Mr. Marcos said.

Under the Anti-Agricultural Economic Sabotage Act, smuggling, hoarding, profiteering, cartel, and financing of crimes involving agricultural and fishery products are classified as acts of economic sabotage.

Offenders will face a penalty of life imprisonment and a fine of up to five times the value of the products involved in the crime.

The Department of Agriculture said from November 2024 to February this year, more than P3.09 billion worth of smuggled rice and agri-fishery products were confiscated amid an intensified campaign against agricultural smuggling, hoarding, and profiteering.

The DA earlier said it would prosecute around 100 individuals tied to 20 blacklisted firms allegedly involved in agricultural smuggling, aiming to secure at least one conviction before the end of the year.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img