President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday placed the unresolved cases of missing “sabungeros” at the center of his administration’s fight against organized crime, vowing to bring to justice those behind their disappearances.
In his State of the Nation Address, Mr. Marcos directly blamed criminal syndicates operating “e-sabong” for the spate of disappearances that has gripped national attention since before his presidency began.
“We are working together across the whole of government to solve the cases of those who went missing because of the ruthless acts of syndicates behind this dark world of cockfighting,” Mr. Marcos said in Filipino.
“We will pursue and hold accountable the masterminds and all those involved, civilian or official. No one is above the law,” President Marcos
President Marcos also acknowledged that while crime statistics may show a decline, many Filipinos, especially victims, remain fearful.
“Even if the crime rate is said to be dropping, no statistics can ease the anxiety of our people,” the president said.
“That is why our police forces are on the ground, visible and ready to respond to any call of duty within five minutes,” he added.
The president also touted his administration’s intensified anti-drug campaign, reporting the seizure of over P83 billion worth of illegal drugs in the past three years, including major shipments recently intercepted in Zambales, Pangasinan, Cagayan, Tondo, Muntinlupa, Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte, Cebu, Batangas, Rizal, and Cavite.
Last month, President Marcos personally witnessed the destruction of nearly 1.5 tons of shabu and other illicit substances in Tarlac.
According to the president, more than 153,000 individuals have been arrested in drug-related operations under his administration, including over 9,600 high-value targets.
Alarmingly, 677 of those arrested were government personnel, among them, more than 100 elected officials and over 50 police officers.
“In just three years, we have nearly equaled the total arrests of the previous administration,” he said.
Despite these gains, President Marcos warned that drug dealers appear to be reemerging, prompting the need for sustained and intensified operations against illegal drugs.
“So, our operations against drug dealers continue, whether they are big-time or small-time,” he By Charles Dantes
President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. remained silent on the future of online gambling during his fourth State of the Nation Address on Monday, amid calls from lawmakers and advocacy groups for stronger action to curb what they describe as a growing social crisis.
President Marcos, in his speech, emphasized national unity and progress across economic and social fronts, but did not announce new measures against online gambling, a divisive issue that has drawn mounting attention from both legislators and public advocacy groups.
In the days leading up to his address, top lawmakers, including Senators Sherwin Gatchalian, Risa Hontiveros, and others, had urged President Marcos to expand the ban from previously outlawed Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) to all forms of online gambling, citing increasing addiction, crime, and financial harm to vulnerable Filipinos.
President Marcos has previously denounced online gambling as destructive, warning that it is “tearing families apart” and harming poor and young Filipinos through its accessibility via digital devices.
His administration previously banned POGOs, renamed Internet Gaming Licensees (IGLs)—in his 2024 SONA, citing links to money laundering, human trafficking, and other illicit activities.
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines has described online gambling as a “public health crisis”, likening it to drug addiction and urging legislative action to ban it completely.
Despite the absence of new policy announcements, Malacañang has stated that officials are diligently “studying the outcome of a potential total ban”, evaluating social, economic, and legal ramifications before endorsing legislation or executive orders.
Critics say the delay permits ongoing harm: advocacy groups and support communities report rising numbers of Filipinos struggling with gambling addiction and financial ruin, with some sharing harrowing personal stories of losing critical funds meant for children or emergencies.
Mr. Marcos’s fourth SONA marks a pivotal moment in his presidency. Analysts say his mid‑term address is a critical opportunity to outline a lasting legacy, including whether a definitive stance will be taken on the broader online gambling industry.
The POGO ban, announced in July 2024, required the closure of all offshore gaming operators by year-end under a Malacañang order; licenses were revoked, and many workers have since been displaced
In 2023‑2024, Philippine online gambling revenue surged, but POGOs accounted for only a small fraction of income and were overshadowed by social and reputational costs linked to crime.
Licensed POGOs contributed roughly 4 percent of gaming revenue before the ban.







