Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

NUJP urges gov’t to run after murderers of Surigao del Sur Broadcaster

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) has strongly denounced the “brazen killing” of Erwin “Boy Pana” Segovia, a radio broadcaster and station manager who was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Bislig City, Surigao del Sur, on the morning of July 21..

“Segovia’s murder follows a grim pattern that reflects the longstanding climate of impunity that clouds the practice of journalism in the Philippines,” the NUJP said.

- Advertisement -

Segovia, 63, was shot in the head while driving his motorcycle along the national highway in Barangay Mangagoy, barely 20 minutes after finishing his morning radio program, “Diretsahan ni Boy Pana Segovia,” on 95.8 dxCB FM.

According to police reports, Segovia was attacked at 8:50 a.m. by two individuals on a motorcycle who had been tailing him since he left the station.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

If the killing is determined to be connected to his work, the NUJP’s tally would count him as the fifth journalist murdered in the line of duty under the incumbent Marcos administration.

“We urge authorities to act swiftly in identifying and prosecuting the perpetrators and to investigate the possible connection of Segovia’s killing to his hard-hitting commentaries,” the union said.

The NUJP noted that this killing comes after the death of veteran journalist Juan “Johnny” Dayang in Kalibo, Aklan, on April 29, and many other cases that remain unresolved.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img