Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Civil Defense still on alert in the wake of ‘Crising’

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) assured it would continue to conduct proactive disaster response operations even as Tropical Cyclone Crising exits the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), but leaves behind intensified rains and strong winds over parts of Luzon.

In a statement on Sunday, the OCD said Secretary of National Defense Gilberto Teodoro Jr. visited its headquarters earlier this week to personally monitor the situation and extend strategic guidance.

- Advertisement -

On the defense chief’s instruction, the office strengthened coordination among regional and local disaster management councils.

“Crising” has exited the PAR but continues to influence the enhanced Southwest Monsoon, it noted.

Heavy rains persist across Luzon, Visayas, and parts of Mindanao.

OCD Officer-in-Charge, Assistant Secretary Bernardo Rafaelito Alejandro IV, confirmed the agency’s continued elevated response posture.

“We have activated our contingency plans to address possible effects on communication lines.

“We have also alerted all our available staff to support local government personnel to include power lines. Ang ating mga responders will immediately be deployed to restore power pag lumampas na yung threat,” he said in a recent interview.

In anticipation of the storm’s lingering effects, the OCD intensified coordination with local government units, national response agencies, and utility companies to ensure rapid deployment of resources and restoration of critical services.

Its regional offices would continue to issue advisories, and search and rescue teams remain on standby.

OCD Spokesperson Mr. Junie Castillo echoed the agency’s appeal for public vigilance.

“Manatili po tayo sa mga ligtas na lugar at patuloy po maging alerto. Makinig tayo sa mga abiso ng ating mga warning agencies at sa mga autoridad po,” he stated.

Likewise, the Philippine Army ‘s Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response teams are still deployed across Northern Luzon.

“These units are prepared to conduct life-saving rescue and relief operations, facilitate the safe evacuation of residents and carry out clearing efforts in affected areas.” Army Spokesperson Col. Louie Dema-ala said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img