The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday confirmed that Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian was summoned over Beijing’s move to ban former senator Francis Tolentino from entering China.
The meeting took place on July 4, 2025, amid rising tensions over the West Philippine Sea and other issues between Manila and Beijing.
The DFA expressed concern to the Chinese envoy regarding the imposition of sanctions against a former Philippine lawmaker who held office in a democratic institution.
It acknowledged China’s sovereign right to enforce its own laws and policies, but said punitive actions against democratically elected officials over their official duties contradict principles of mutual respect.
“The Department reminded the Ambassador that as a democracy, the Philippines values freedom of expression,” the agency said in a statement.
The DFA emphasized that acts performed by legislators as part of their mandate fall within the framework of democratic governance.
It pointed out that elected officials in the Philippines have the constitutional authority to raise questions and initiate discussions on public policy, including foreign affairs.
“The Department remains committed to addressing differences through diplomacy and dialogue, and looks forward to continued constructive engagement with China to promote mutual understanding,” it added.
China imposed sanctions on former Senator Francis Tolentino on July 1, 2025, accusing him of making malicious statements and actions that harmed bilateral relations.
Tolentino responded by calling the sanctions a “badge of honor” and vowed to continue defending Philippine sovereignty.
Malacañang had earlier said it respects China’s decision to bar former Senator Francis Tolentino from entering the country, but emphasized that no Filipino will be silenced in defending the nation’s sovereignty and maritime rights.
“Whatever reason China had for banning Senator Tolentino, it is their decision,” said Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro during a Palace press briefing.
While Castro did not speculate on Beijing’s reasons, she underscored that the move would not deter patriotic Filipinos from standing up for the country’s territorial integrity.
“But every Filipino, the true Filipino and those Filipinos who are pro-Philippines, cannot be silenced and they cannot be prohibited from defending whatever rights we have in our country and our maritime rights,” she said.







