Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

PCO chief okays request to replace Net25 Palace reporter

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Acting Secretary Jay Ruiz backed the request from the Media Accreditation and Relations Office (MARO) for the replacement of a Malacañang reporter, citing multiple breaches of protocol, including a serious security disruption during President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s visit to Tarlac on June 25.

In a formal letter addressed to the Malacañang Press Corps, Ruiz said Net25 reporter Eden Santos’ conduct posed a security threat and disrupted the flow of the official event.

- Advertisement -

“Covering the President of the Republic is not an ordinary beat. It demands discipline, decorum, and adherence to established security protocols, not only out of respect for the Office but for the personal safety of the Chief Executive and everyone on site,” Ruiz wrote.

According to Ruiz, Santos left the designated media area and rushed toward the President without clearance.

A member of the presidential security detail had to intervene quickly, treating the incident as a possible breach.More troubling, Ruiz added, was that other members of the press followed Santos, compounding the disruption and increasing pressure on the security team.

“This chain reaction unnecessarily disrupted the flow of the event and created a bad precedent that, if unaddressed, risks eroding the discipline that has long governed Palace coverage,” he said.Ruiz clarified that Santos’ actions were “unsolicited, unsanctioned, and in violation of MARO-issued guidelines,” which prohibit ambush interviews and unauthorized movements toward the President.Ruiz said Net25 has since issued a letter through News and Information Chief Paul Padua reaffirming its commitment to follow media protocols, especially in light of the presidential coverage in Tacloban, Leyte, earlier.Ruiz also cited a pattern of violations by Santos, including a May 14 incident during a Philippine Information Agency briefing where she allegedly shouted an expletive at a PCO staff member.Additionally, she had reportedly missed media enlistment deadlines for three separate press events and bypassed standard procedures at a prior engagement at the Philippine International Convention Center.”All other MPC members followed the MARO advisory issued in advance,” Ruiz noted, underscoring that the replacement request was not personal or punitive.”This is not about silencing Ms. Santos or sanctioning her network. This is a matter of accountability for a breach of protocol.

Malacañang credentials are privileges, not entitlements,” Ruiz said.The PCO emphasized its commitment to maintaining order and safety for both the President and members of the media.”Our intent is not punitive, but protective, of the President, of the institution, and of the working environment shared by all journalists,” the letter concluded.As of writing, the Malacañang Press Corps officers have yet to answer Ruiz’s official statement.Last week, the Malacañang Press Corps expressed grave concern over the PCO’s move to replace Santos.In a statement issued by its officers, the MPC questioned the basis for the replacement request and labeled it a “clear overreach” of the PCO’s authority.”The ‘request’ was a clear overreach of the PCO’s authority,” MPC said in a statement.”While the officers recognize the need to ensure the President’s safety and well-being, it should never be at the expense of the freedom of the press to tell stories that go beyond photo opportunities, press releases, and rehearsed sound bites,” it added. They called for a resolution that strikes a balance between safeguarding the President and preserving journalistic freedom.”Although the government and the media have clashing objectives and despite the fact that journalists have different ways of performing their roles, all our decisions should be guided by rationality,” the statement concluded.The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) also bucked the PCO move.”While acknowledging that formal requests are preferable to demands and outright bans, NUJP backs the Malacañang Press Corps on the Presidential Communications Office’s bid to replace reporters it has cited for breaking protocol and attempting to have an ‘ambush’ interview with the President,” NUJP said in a statement.According to NUJP, this incident is an opportunity for the Palace to look into “why reporters would have to resort to ‘ambush’ interviews in the first place.”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img