Malacañang on Wednesday said it respects China’s decision to bar former Senator Francis Tolentino from entering the country, but emphasized that no Filipino will be silenced in defending the nation’s sovereignty and maritime rights.
“Whatever reason China had for banning Senator Tolentino, it is their decision,” said Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro during a Palace press briefing.
While Castro did not speculate on Beijing’s reasons, she underscored that the move would not deter patriotic Filipinos from standing up for the country’s territorial integrity.
“But every Filipino, the true Filipino and those Filipinos who are pro-Philippines, they cannot be silenced and they cannot be prohibited from defending whatever rights we have in our country and our maritime rights,” she said.
China on Tuesday imposed sanctions on Tolentino, citing his “egregious conduct” and “malicious remarks” on China-Philippines affairs.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry accused Tolentino of actions that harmed bilateral ties, announcing a travel ban barring him from entering mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macao.
The move came just a day after Tolentino ended his term in office, drawing criticism over its timing and motive.
Tolentino, a vocal proponent of the Philippines’ claims in the West Philippine Sea, confirmed he had been barred from entering China, calling it a consequence of his strong position on sovereignty issues.
The development comes amid heightened tensions between Manila and Beijing over repeated incursions and harassment by Chinese vessels in the country’s exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea.







