DAVAO CITY—The 32nd Kadayawan sa Davao festival will push on despite the extension of martial law in Mindanao.
City Tourism officer Regina Rosa Tecson said the Kadayawan will continue as scheduled, and there will be no cancellation of activities.
“Ever since we started planning we are already working hand in hand with the security sector,” Tecson said. “They help us in the planning stage to ensure the safety and security of all our events.”
Tecson said the city is intensifying the promotion to encourage tourists to come to the city and witness the touted “King of All Festivals.”
The Kadayawan is a celebration of the bountiful harvest of the 11 indigenous tribes in the city.
Tecson said the city is confident enough that despite martial law tourists will still come and visit the city to witness the event.
Earlier, Mayor Sara Duterte said the Kadayawan events will continue as planned despite the extension of martial law to the end of the year after an initial 60-day period by Congress, following a proclamation by President Rodrigo Duterte.
Mayor Duterte previously said that it would be interesting to celebrate Kadayawan under martial law and still showcase the festivity of the city.
Public Safety and Security Command Center chief Benito de Leon said authorities are now prepared for the 32nd Kadayawan sa Davao slated on August 14 to 20.
De Leon said troops coming from Task Force Davao, Joint Task Force Haribon, Davao City Police Office, and some coming from the Police Regional Office XI and the Army’s 10th Infantry Division will be fully deployed in the city during the entire celebration.
CCTV cameras are also installed in strategic places to ensure the safety of Davaoeños and local and foreign tourists who will join the celebration.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.