PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has said he will not hesitate to fire transport and airport officials if another luggage is pilfered at the airport.
He ordered airport and transport officials on Thursday to terminate the contract of aviation service provider Miascor after one Jovenal Dela Cruz complained that his luggage was pilfered when she arrived at the Clark International Airport last week.
Duterte ordered Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade and airport officials to investigate the case and warned he would not hesitate to fire them if it happened again.
“One more incident and all of you will go. Look for another job,” Duterte said during the launch of OFW Bank in Lawton, Manila.
In other developments:
* Duterte on Thursday berated Clark International Airport officials following the theft of the luggage of a returning Filipino worker in Canada and urged them to have the culprits killed.
“Just have them [the culprits] killed. Just contact the police there,” Duterte told Clark International Airport Corp. Acting President Alexander Cauguira, who said the suspects had been charged with theft but wre out on bail.
* All baggage handlers and security providers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport are now required to wear body cameras while on duty to prevent baggage theft.
This developed as the Manila International Airport Authority came up with a decision not to renew its lease and concession agreement with Miascor Ground Handling Corp. after some of its employees got involved in baggage pilferage not only in NAIA but also at the Clark International Airport in Pampanga.
Tugade summoned airport officials, airport ground handling companies, manpower service providers and security managers on Friday following Duterte’s warning over baggage theft at the airports.
He gave security companies five days to clean up their ranks.
“Send me the list of your employees and guards. If there is someone there with a record, the whole company leaves,” Tugade said.
Duterte had ordered Cauguiran to terminate the contract with Miascor, an aviation services provider in the Philippines.
Miascor also provides aviation services to the four terminals of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay City, which offers services ranging from below- and above-the-wing services.
Duterte said he did not want any pilferage to happen again in the airports.
De la Cruz uploaded a video on Facebook expressing his dismay after he discovered his luggage and boxes were pilfered. It went viral.
Six airport personnel from Miascor were charged and suspended for stealing the Filipino worker’s luggage.
The worker from Canada said he lost valuable items amounting to P80,000.
Cauguiran had earlier said that Miascor had compensated Dela Cruz for the lost items in his luggage amounting to P84,000.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.