A FILIPINA went missing after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Hualien County in Taiwan, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday.
Reports said five people were killed, 145 went missing and 225 were injured following the deadly earthquake that struck the popular Taiwanese city.
Foreign Affairs said a team from the Manila Economic and Cultural Office in Taiwan, led by Labor Attaché Cesar Chavez, was now checking on the condition of the Filipinos in the area.
Meco chairman Lito Banayo cited Chavez’s initial report saying the authorities were still searching the area where the Filipina, a caretaker, was working.
“They’re also checking the hospital right now if there are any Filipinos injured but, so far, no one was reported to have died,” Banayo said.
At least four establishments were reported to have caved in or tilted dangerously.
Raul Dado, executive director for the DFA-Office of Migrant Workers Affairs, said 133,577 Filipinos are working in Taiwan.