Advertisement

11 killed, 19 injured in air raid on Yemen hospital

At least 11 people were killed and more than 19 injured in an airstrike on a hospital in northwestern Yemen, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said in a statement.

The blast "partially destroyed" Abs hospital Monday, immediately killing nine people, including an MSF staff member, while two more patients died while being transferred to another clinic, the Paris-based agency said in a statement.

It expressed outrage at what it described as "the fourth attack against an MSF facility in less than 12 months."

MSF tweeted earlier that Abs, located in the rebel-held province of Hajja, "was targeted by air strikes today at 15:45 Yemen time." It gave an earlier toll of six dead and 20 injured.

A Saudi-led Arab coalition has been battling Iran-backed rebels since March 2015 in support of Yemen's government, after insurgents seized Sanaa before moving into other parts of the country.

"Once again, a fully functional hospital full of patients and MSF national and international staff members, was bombed in a war that has shown no respect for medical facilities or patients," Teresa Sancristoval, for MSF's Emergency Unit in Yemen, said in the statement.

"Even with the recent United Nations resolution calling for an end to attacks on medical facilities and with the high level declarations of commitment to international humanitarian law, nothing seems to be done to make parties involved in the conflict in Yemen respect medical staff and patients," she said.

"Without action, these public gestures are meaningless for today's victims. Either intentional or a result of a negligence, this is unacceptable.”

Earlier this month, the coalition acknowledged "shortcomings" in two out of eight cases it had investigated of UN-condemned air strikes on civilian targets in Yemen.

On Monday, it promised to probe another attack that MSF said killed 10 children over the weekend at a school in the rebel-held northern province of Saada.

Topics: Yemen , Doctors Without Borders , MSF , Attacks , Saudi Arabia , United Nations
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement