This summer, treat yourself to three easy-to-do refreshing and delicious dishes that bring the flavors of the beach to your home.
Fish Finger in Soft Taco with Avocado Aioli Dressing
6-8 pcs fried breaded fish fingers, chopped or sliced
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1 pc small carrots, peeled and cut into julienne
1 pc lime, juiced
10 pcs soft flour tortillas (prepared using MAYA All-Purpose flour or store bought)
pinch of salt
For avocado dressing:
1 pc ripe avocado
4-5 cloves garlic
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1 tbsp honey
1 pc lime, juiced
salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, place the cabbage and carrots and season with salt. Set aside and chill until ready to use.
2. Grill tortillas for 10 to 15 seconds and keep right away in a sealed container to lock in and retain the moisture of the soft tacos.
3. Prepare avocado dressing: In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients for avocado dressing except for salt. Process until well blended and smooth. Season to taste.
4. Divide the cabbage mixture and fish among the tortillas. Serve avocado dressing on the side or drizzle over the soft taco.
Sweet ‘N Spicy Salmon Poke in Pineapple Brown Rice
400 grams sushi-grade fresh salmon filet, cubed
¼ cup light brewed soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice wine or sake
pepper to taste
For the dry seasoning:
1 pc nori sheet, grinded
2 tsp togarashi
1 tbsp white or black roasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp bonito flakes
For the pineapple brown rice:
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup pineapple chunks, drained
1 pc small finely chopped onion
2-3 cloves minced garlic
3-4 cups cooked brown rice
1 tsp prepared seasoning chopped coriander leaves
1. In a bowl, marinade salmon with soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and rice wine. Mix until salmon are fully covered with marinade. Set aside.
2. Prepare seasoning: Using a mini-processor or spice blender, process nori sheet and togarashi together until grinded or almost in powdered form. Add and mix in sesame seeds and bonito flakes, set aside for later use.
3. Prepare pineapple brown rice: Heat oil in a sautéing pan and pan sear or cook the pineapple chunks until lightly brown or a little toasted. Set aside. From the same pan, sauté onions and garlic until translucent and aromatic. Add in the rice and put at least half amount of pineapple and a teaspoon of the prepared seasoning. Continue cooking until rice is aromatic.
4. To assemble: Place a cup of pineapple brown rice in a serving bowl, arrange on top pineapple chunks, marinated salmon, and coriander leaves. Sprinkle with little amount of prepared seasoning before serving.
Greek-style Roasted Corn Cob Salad
2 pcs chopped Japanese yellow corn in a cob
Melted butter, as needed
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped and mixed with grated parmesan
a handful of each arugula, lolorosa, frisee, lettuce
200g feta cheese
black and green olives, as needed
1 pc cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced
1 pc onion
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
¼ tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
½ tsp dried oregano
2 tsp honey, optional
salt and pepper
1. Boil Japanese corn until soft.
2. Slice corn and brush with melted butter then dredge buttered corn with parmesan cheese and parsley mixture. Set aside.
3. In a serving salad dish bowl, arrange the greens, olives, cucumber, onions, and tomatoes and top with prepared chopped Japanese corn.
4. Prepare vinaigrette: Put all the ingredients for vinaigrette in a salad dressing bottle with lid on and shake until well combined. Drizzle on salad.