Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

What Chavit Singson may change if he acquires Miss Universe

Former Ilocos Sur governor Luis “Chavit” Singson has set his sights on buying the Miss Universe Organization, saying the embattled beauty pageant may soon be up for sale as controversies continue to surround the global competition.

Speaking during a media huddle earlier this week, Singson addressed allegations of pageant rigging and sweeping policy changes introduced by the current owners, including allowing married women and transgender women to compete.

- Advertisement -

Singson signaled openness to retaining the recent reforms but stressed that his priority would be elevating the pageant and restoring its former stature.

“I love the LGBT group. Malaki ang tulong nila,” Singson said. “Sa Miss Universe, pinag-aralan nila ‘yan. If ako na ang may hawak niyan, yung LGBT and married women, pag-aaralan pa rin ‘yan. I will leave it to the experts.”

Chavit Singson expresses his willingness to buy the Miss Universe Organization despite potential financial losses

Singson also expressed confidence that the Miss Universe Organization’s owners, JKN Global Group and Legacy Holding Group USA Inc., would eventually be willing to sell. The pageant is currently co-owned by Mexican businessman Raul Rocha and Thai media executive Anne Jakrajutatip.

“Sa nababasa ko lang, nagkaroon ng problema sa Thailand, sa Mexico,” Singson said. “So kung ipagpapatuloy nila, lalo silang malulugi. Palagay ko they are willing to sell, although wala pang negotiation.”

Singson said no formal talks have taken place yet, but representatives of the organization are expected to visit the Philippines next month. He added that even potential losses would not stop him from pursuing the deal.

“Willing naman akong malugi diyan,” he said. “Kasi maganda sa ating bansa. Habang may pera ako, gusto kong bilhin. Kasi ang gusto lang ng Pilipino, beauty contest, basketball, at boxing.”

Former Ilocos Sur governor Luis ‘Chavit’ Singson (left) named daughter Richelle Singson-Michael as the potential manager of the Miss Universe Organization should his planned acquisition push through

If the acquisition pushes through, Singson said his daughter, Richelle Singson-Michael, would manage the organization. Richelle previously chaired the Miss Universe Host Committee during the 2016 pageant in the Philippines.

“Ang magma-manage ‘yung daughter ko,” Singson said. “And I’m confident because, even the organization said that the 2016 staging of Miss Universe was the most successful in the pageant’s entire history.”

Singson confirmed that he and his daughter had begun discussions with former Miss Universe Organization officials about a possible takeover. He said meetings with former MUO executives Paula Shugart and Shawn McClain are planned in the Philippines in January.

The potential sale comes as Miss Universe faces fresh controversy following the 2025 edition in Bangkok, Thailand. Mexico’s Fatima Bosch won the crown, while the Philippines’ Ahtisa Manalo placed third runner-up.

After the coronation, further allegations surfaced against the Mexican co-owner involving drug and arms trafficking, while the Thai co-owner faced accusations of fraud, adding to the growing cloud over what was once regarded as the world’s most prestigious beauty pageant.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img