Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Pope Leo calls for Mideast ceasefire

Castel Gandolfo, Italy—Pope Leo XIV called Tuesday for a ceasefire in the Middle East war, saying more than a million people had been forced to flee their homes and urging the warring parties to hold talks.

“I want to renew my appeal for a ceasefire, to work for peace, not with arms but with dialogue,” the pope told journalists as he left his residence in Castel Gandolfo, outside Rome, for the Vatican.

- Advertisement -

“Hate is on the rise, violence is getting worse and more than a million people have been displaced, with many dead,” he said.

“We want to pray for peace, but I invite all authorities to truly work for dialogue.”

Leo XIV, the first American pope, has repeatedly condemned the war and called for dialogue.

But the 70-year-old pontiff has been cautious in his statements since the US-Israeli strikes on Iran that started the war on February 28, refraining from naming any party in his condemnations and appeals for peace.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img