LEGAZPI CITY – The provinces of Albay, Camarines Sur, and Sorsogon suspended classes up to Saturday to prepare for the possible effects of Tropical Depression “Ada” in the Bicol Region, the Philippine News Agency reported.
More areas have been placed under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) no. 1 as “Ada” is forecast to reach tropical storm category, the weather bureau reported on Thursday.
“Ada” slightly intensified, packing maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center, and gustiness of up to 70 kph, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) reported in its 5 a.m. advisory.
It was last tracked 385 kilometers (km) east-northeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur, or 465 km east of Surigao City, Surigao del Norte. It is moving northwest at 20 kph.
Sorsogon Governor Edwin Hamor ordered the suspension of face-to-face classes at all levels on Thursday and Friday (January 15 and 16) to ensure the safety and welfare of students, teachers, and other personnel, and to protect the public from potential threats posed by “Ada.”
In a memorandum, Hamor said schools may opt to conduct alternative learning activities, such as online classes or modular tasks, provided that due consideration is given to the situation, accessibility, and living conditions of students, especially those affected by the weather disturbance.
Albay Governor Noel Rosal suspended classes at all levels for both public and private schools on Friday and Saturday (January 16-17) as a precautionary measure, anticipating heavy rainfall in his province that may significantly increase the risk of flooding, lahar flow, river swelling, and landslides.
Rosal also ordered no sailing for all types of seacrafts, effective upon the release of the Sea Travel Advisory from the Philippine Coast Guard. All river crossings (on foot or via vehicle) and fishing and swimming are prohibited until flooding su bsides, the governor ordered.
Camarines Sur Governor Luis Raymond Villafuerte Jr. also ordered the red alert status of their Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council – Emergency Operations Center (PDRRMC-EOC).
The group’s response cluster is activated and expected to provide necessary preparations to monitor the effects of the weather disturbance, the governor said.
Villafuerte also instructed the PDRRMC-EOC to ensure that all rescue equipment and response teams are on standby for rapid deployment.
All local disaster response teams in Camarines Sur are also directed to implement evacuation as necessary, particularly for hazard-prone or potentially isolated areas, before the effects of Ada.
Families in Albay were advised to secure their homes and buy essential household supplies.
All were advised to take precautionary measures against the impacts associated with hazards such as flash floods, landslides, and lahar flows, especially in Barangay Masarawag, Guinobatan.
All mass gatherings and outdoor activities were likewise suspended, and those previously issued permits in view of these activities “are hereby revoked, effective immediately,” the governor said.
“Residents are advised to avoid unnecessary travel, especially on flood-prone roads or near riverbanks, and remain alert and on standby for official updates and further advisories from the weather bureau and local authorities,” the order added.
Rosal also canceled and recalled all previously issued travel orders.
Prepositioning of relief and emergency vehicles and other resources for evacuation and other emergency needs are in place for early evacuation and delivery of relief goods and services.
Disaster operations are activated around the clock with close coordination with Albay Public Safety Emergency Management Office.







