Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Ang likely fled to Thailand, Cambodia—DILG

Interior and Local Government Secretary Juanito Victor Remulla on Thursday said authorities are verifying reports that gaming tycoon and fugitive Charlie

“Atong” Ang may have already left the country and could be staying in Thailand or Cambodia.

- Advertisement -

In a phone interview, Remulla said initial information suggests Ang may have set up an online sabong network along the Cambodia-Thailand border.

He said the information has not yet been verified and came from government witness Julie Patidongan, who claimed Ang “has a way to reach Cambodia” and may have left the country through illegal routes.

“That’s possible. That’s the information that reached us,” Remulla said, noting there are no records showing Ang exited through ports or airports.

Authorities are now checking whether he used so-called “backdoor” routes.

Remulla said the government has not yet coordinated with Cambodia or Thailand, as investigators are still validating the reports. “Once it is confirmed, we will bring it up to the President and see what he decides to do,” he said, adding that any move would involve international relations.

Asked whether Ang is still considered armed and dangerous despite the surrender of firearms by his lawyer, Remulla said authorities remain cautious.

“Of course. If you earn P1 billion a day, it’s easy to acquire firearms, including loose firearms,” he said.

Remulla also ordered police to wear body cameras when attempting to arrest Ang to prevent bribery and other irregularities.

“I’m careful because it will be a trap, so everyone should have a bodycam before the raid because if they see money, they’ll be tempted again, right? So I’m really careful about that, so I’m very quiet during the inspection,” Remulla said.

Ang is the DILG’s most wanted person in connection with the disappearance of more than 30 sabungeros, with a P10-million bounty for his arrest.

Police have so far searched six of Ang’s properties, but he has not been found. Remulla said Ang was last seen at a residence in Mandaluyong.

He added that none of the active or retired police officers allegedly linked to Ang have been conclusively proven to be protecting him.

Meanwhile, Ang’s camp confirmed compliance with the revocation of his license to own and possess firearms and firearms registration.

His lawyer, Gabriel Villareal, said several firearms were surrendered to the Mandaluyong police, while a separate affidavit was filed for a reported lost firearm, stressing their compliance was in good faith and without prejudice to legal remedies.

Among the firearms surrendered to the Mandaluyong Police Station include a 5.56 rifle, a .38 revolver, and 3 9MM pistols with different make and models.

Villareal also reported a lost caliber .260 firearm attaching affidavit of loss thereto.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img