Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Sotto pushes for whole Senate to probe shooting incident

Senate Minority Leader Vicente Sotto III has proposed convening the Senate committee of the whole to investigate last week’s shooting incident inside the Senate complex.

Sotto made the proposal during Wednesday’s Senate session following remarks by Senator Risa Hontiveros and an emotional reaction from Senator Pia Cayetano over the incident.

- Advertisement -

Hontiveros said the situation appeared as though “nothing had happened,” prompting calls for a broader inquiry into the May 13 incident.

Sotto moved to refer the privilege speeches of Hontiveros and Senator Erwin Tulfo to the committee of the whole, along with the Senate committees on public order, justice, rules, ethics and finance.

“This specific matter ought to be referred to the committee of the whole, as it represents an extraordinary remedy that is essential due to the impact on the Senate’s institutional security,” Sotto said.

Tulfo backed the proposal, saying multiple Senate committees and law enforcement agencies would need to participate in the inquiry.

“Former Senate President Sotto is right that we should proceed with a committee of the whole,” Tulfo said later in an interview over DZMM.

“There are numerous committees involved in this matter. The issue of peace and order must be included. He will summon individuals, including our security personnel and the NBI, along with all others involved.”

Tulfo added that the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, now chaired by Cayetano, could also participate in efforts to determine what transpired.

“There are many questions, and all of us will have inquiries,” he said. “On Monday, everyone will voice their opinions, speak up, raise complaints and make accusations, while others will defend their positions. Naturally, they will defend their group as best as they can.”

Senator Paolo Benigno Aquino IV earlier filed a resolution seeking an investigation into the incident, which involved the discharge of firearms within Senate grounds while armed law enforcement personnel were present.

Aquino said a thorough inquiry was necessary to establish a clear factual record following conflicting statements from government agencies and officials regarding the identities, authority and actions of the armed individuals involved.

During Wednesday’s session, Tulfo also raised questions regarding the operation and the events leading to the shooting.

“First, what is the legal basis for the authorities to enter the vicinity of the Senate, if any?” Tulfo said. “Second, was there formal coordination with the Senate leadership before the operation was carried out, and what was the leadership’s directive in this regard?”

“Third, what specific actions prompted and became the trigger for the shooting? Was there a provocation from any side? And which agency, or which individual, was directly responsible for firing the guns?” he added.

“Fourth, what steps were taken to ensure the safety of senators, employees and the media before and after the incident? And finally, what evidence was gathered to shed light on the true events?”

Tulfo also cited allegations involving the Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms and the National Bureau of Investigation, as well as speculation that the shooting may have been used as a “smokescreen to facilitate an escape or create confusion.”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img