Acting Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Fredderick Vida on Saturday said the gov-ernment has recovered around P611 million from the restitution process involving state witnesses in the flood control controversy.
Former Department of Public Works and Highways officials Roberto Bernardo, Henry Alcantara, and Gerard Opulencia, along with contractor Sally Santos, have previously turned over batches of cash to the government’s coffers.
According to the DOJ, the individuals are expected to return a total of P1.5 billion as part of the restitution process.
Vida also said the DOJ is continuing to sift through and process documents submitted earlier this week by the Independent Commission for Infrastructure.
“Everything we finished during the preliminary investigations, we have already transmitted and transferred to the Office of the Ombudsman for final approval,” Vida told ABS-CBN News.
He added that once approved by the Ombudsman, the cases will be filed as formal information in court.
The acting Justice secretary also said they may soon transmit to the Ombudsman the resolution on the plunder and graft complaints filed against Sen. Jinggoy Estrada and former Department of Public Works and Highways chief Manuel Bonoan.







