The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Wednesday debunked a circulating online video claiming that a child named “Ashley,” previously rescued from a content creator’s custody, was recently seen back on the streets.
The agency said the claim is false and urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified information involving minors.
“Ashley” was a ward—a minor cared for by a person who is not their parent or relative—and was among the children previously under the custody of content creator Benjie Perillo, popularly known as “BenchTV.”
She is currently staying at a DSWD care facility in Calauan, Laguna, where she is undergoing psychological intervention and case management.
Assistant Secretary Irene Dumlao of the DSWD Disaster Response Management Group called on the public to exercise caution when sharing information online, especially when it involves minors under government care.
She warned that spreading false information, particularly when it involves a minor under government custody, may endanger the child and disrupt her ongoing rehabilitation.
Dumlao, who also serves as the DSWD spokesperson, emphasized that protecting the privacy and welfare of children remains a priority of the department.
She said children under DSWD custody undergo necessary interventions to help them recover from their experiences, stressing the importance of respecting their right to privacy and refraining from sharing photos, videos, or information that could cause further trauma or put them at risk.
The DSWD also reminded the public that unauthorized sharing of photos or videos of minors, as well as spreading misinformation online, may lead to legal consequences under existing laws.
These include Republic Act 7610, or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act; Republic Act 10175, or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012; and Republic Act 10173, or the Data Privacy Act of 2012.
The DSWD Standards Bureau on Jan. 29 led an inter-agency inspection of an unlicensed shelter run by BenchTV in Barangay Landayan, San Pedro, Laguna.
The operation was conducted with the San Pedro City Social Welfare and Development Office, DSWD Field Office 4-A (Calabarzon), barangay officials, and local law enforcement authorities.
During the inspection, authorities found 12 individuals inside the facility, including “Ashley” and another minor. Six were transferred to DSWD custody to ensure proper care and intervention.
The remaining residents under BenchTV’s custody in San Pedro City are currently undergoing monitoring and reintegration.
DSWD Field Office 4-A continues to coordinate with the San Pedro City Social Welfare and Development Office to monitor BenchTV’s actions and the well-being of the remaining individuals.
The agency urged the public to rely only on official announcements and verified updates from the DSWD’s official communication channels.







