Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Filipinos trust allies to help secure WPS interests — survey

A Pulse Asia survey commissioned by Stratbase found that Filipinos overwhelmingly trust like-minded international partners—such as the United States, Japan, Canada, and Australia—to help safeguard the country’s national interests amid ongoing tensions in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).

Stratbase, in a statement on Monday, said the survey, conducted from Dec. 12 to 15 with 1,200 respondents nationwide, with a +/- 2.8 percent margin of error, shows that Filipinos are clear about which countries they want the Philippines to work with amid continuing WPS tensions.

- Advertisement -

Respondents were allowed to select up to five countries or organizations they trust and believe the Marcos administration should work with in asserting Philippine rights and protecting national interests.    

The survey showed that the US (82 percent), Japan (64 percent), Canada (58 percent), and Australia (51 percent) are the top countries Filipinos trust.

Stratbase Group Founder and Chief Executive Victor Andres Manhit said these results reflected strong public confidence in partners that respect international law, follow a rules-based order, and support Philippine sovereignty.  

He said the findings reflected a public that is fully aware of China’s aggression in the WPS.

“Filipinos know who is violating our rights, and they know who our friends are. What is happening in the WPS affects our fishermen, our food supply, and our national dignity,” he added.  

In the same survey, only one in 10 Filipinos said they trust China, for a rating of 11 percent.

Reports showed that China has continued to harass Philippine vessels in the WPS through dangerous blocking maneuvers and the use of water cannons.

As of the third quarter of 2025, some 78 incidents have been reported by the National Maritime Council (NMC).  

These actions have put Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel in danger and disrupted fishing activities in the WPS.

In December, China’s Coast Guard (CCG) had a “close and direct” contact with three Filipino fishermen, which resulted in their injury and damage to their fishing vessels.

The CCG used water cannons and employed hazardous blocking maneuvers affecting 20 Filipino fishing boats in the WPS.

These actions violate the Philippines’ rights, threaten food security, and undermine what rightfully belongs to the Filipinos.

The Philippines has filed numerous diplomatic protests over these incidents. At least 47 protests were filed last year alone.

Data from the National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea (NTF-WPS) in 2023 showed that since 2020, a total of 445 diplomatic protests have been lodged against China, showing that these violations were not isolated events but part of a continuing pattern.  

“Our uniformed personnel continue to show restraint and courage in standing up for the country. They deserve the full support of the government and the Filipino people as they protect our waters, our coastal communities, and the livelihoods of Filipino fisherfolk,” Manhit said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img