Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Supreme Court junks Bato’s motion to surface ICC warrant

The Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday denied the petition seeking to compel Ombudsman Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla to produce the alleged warrant against Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

In its session, the SC en banc denied the Very Urgent Motion and directed the respondents to comment on the Very Urgent Manifestation.

- Advertisement -

Last week, Dela Rosa and former President Rodrigo Duterte filed the petition seeking the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) to prevent government agencies from implementing a warrant against the senator.

They also sought the issuance of a preliminary injunction, claiming a clear, present, and continuing danger that Dela Rosa may be illegally arrested or surrendered to a foreign court without due process.

Among the respondents is Remulla, who earlier confirmed “on good authority” the issuance of an ICC warrant against Dela Rosa.

Aside from the Ombudsman, other respondents named were former Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla, and former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Rommel Marbil, among others.

In March, a petition was also filed to challenge Duterte’s arrest as well as the Philippine government’s cooperation with the ICC.

As this developed, Veronica “Kitty” Duterte, through her lawyers, has asked the Supreme Court to resolve her pending petition for the immediate return of her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte.

In a statement, the younger Duterte’s lawyer Salvador Paolo Panelo, Jr. said they filed an urgent motion to resolve and to direct respondent Philippine government officials to facilitate the return of the former President.

Panelo said the motion highlighted the grave consequences of the “prolonged silence” of the Supreme Court on the petitions against the arrest and transfer of the Duterte patriarch to the International Criminal Court.

He said the March 11 transfer of the former President could be repeated following reports that an arrest warrant has also been issued against Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa.

“The Motion urges the Supreme Court to finally resolve the petitions to prevent further deterioration of FPRRD’s health, or his undignified death in foreign custody; to hold accountable those responsible for his illegal abduction and surrender to the ICC; and to forestall further violations of liberty without due process of law, including the imminent threat of repeat abuses against Senator Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa,” Panelo said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img