Tuesday, May 12, 2026
Today's Print

DA deploys 18 trucks to fetch Benguet vegetable surplus

The Department of Agriculture (DA) has deployed 18 trucks to transport vegetables from Benguet after reports of an oversupply left local farmers struggling to sell their harvests.

DA Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said the logistics teams, including the KADIWA program under the Agribusiness and Marketing Assistance Service, are coordinating efforts to link Benguet farms to key markets in Metro Manila.

- Advertisement -

The deployed fleet includes government-owned vehicles, regional units and trucks provided to cooperatives. The government is shouldering fuel costs to ensure produce reaches trading hubs.

“The issue was brought to my attention last week, and we immediately instructed our regional directors and logistics teams to act. Our goal is to move the vegetables efficiently and prevent waste while supporting our farmers,” Tiu Laurel said.

High fuel costs have aggravated the oversupply by discouraging traders from purchasing and transporting vegetables. This has deepened losses for farmers who depend on steady market demand. Tiu Laurel acknowledged the problem is complex and cannot be resolved immediately, but he said the transport initiative is intended to ease short-term pressures.

The department is also rolling out longer-term measures, including the completion of a Mega Cold Storage facility. The facility will have 5000 pallet positions, equivalent to 4000 to 5000 tons of produce, and is expected to be operational next year. Additional modular storage units are being deployed to help farmers store surplus produce, reduce waste and stabilize prices.

The DA said it is working to expand distribution channels by connecting produce from La Trinidad and other key production areas to KADIWA outlets in Metro Manila and other urban centers.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img