Wednesday, May 13, 2026
Today's Print

Gov’t vows to ramp up infrastructure spending

DEPARTMENT of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon said Friday the agency targets to spend around P200 billion to P250 billion on public infrastructure projects in the first quarter of 2026 and vowed to ensure the amount is spent wisely on governance reforms.

This came after infrastructure spending fell by 40.1 percent in October 2025 amid a continuous decline in the agency’s disbursements following adverse weather conditions and the flood control corruption scandal.

- Advertisement -

“For DPWH, I think our goal is not just to spend more… but to spend more wisely and spend for the right things. Our target spend for the first quarter is anywhere between P200 to P250 billion for the first quarter,” Dizon told reporters in a press briefing on Friday.

Dizon said the actual amount would still depend on how much the government would be able to collect and raise.

“On our end, for DPWH, we will ensure that [such] money, whatever ceiling we will be given for the first quarter, will be spent on the right things. And that’s where the reforms come in,” he said.

Dizon said these reforms include the timely upkeep and maintenance of roads and bridges, along with the completion of all unfinished projects within President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s term.

“We will be getting most of the funding for that from savings that, fortunately, we were able to generate last year. And hopefully, we will also be able to generate more savings this year,” he said.

Meanwhile, Department of Transportation (DOTr) acting Secretary Giovanni Lopez said the agency is eyeing to disburse around P60 billion in the first quarter this year.

“For DOTr, we’re looking right now for the first quarter and if we can disburse, as long as they give us the allotment, we can obligate it and we can disburse more as around P60 billion. Remember, the budget for DOTr for the entire year right now is around P103 billion,” he said.

Lopez said 80 percent of the agency’s capital outlays are funded by foreign assistance programs, which include the funding for the North-South Commuter Railway and the Metro Manila Subway project.

These statements came as the Marcos administration’s economic team engaged with private stakeholders in a forum that focused on reforms for the Philippine economy.

Department of Finance (DOF) Secretary Frederick Go said the private sector is an “indispensable partner” in advancing national development, whether it is for economic growth or job creation.

“Despite the challenges of the past year, our long-term fundamentals remain strong and intact. Our stable macroeconomic environment, enabling policies, and dynamic workforce provide a solid foundation for sustainable growth. With this, we are now advancing with big bold reforms,” said Go.

Some of the topics discussed during the panel discussions included the visa-free entry of Chinese businessmen and tourists into the Philippines for up to 14 days, the finalization of a funding solution for the comprehensive automotive resurgence strategy (CARS) program, the Bureau of Internal Revenue’s (BIR) plan for a digitized audit system, and the Bureau of Customs’ (BOC) signing of the National Single Window Integrated Trade Facilitation platform.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img
Previous article
Next article