Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Buhawind kicks off studies for 2-GW offshore wind project

Yuchengco-led Buhawind Energy Northern Luzon Corp. (BENLC), a subsidiary of PetroGreen Energy Corp. (PGEC), recently launched a multi-stakeholder collaboration for the feasibility studies of the planned 2,000-megawatt Northern Luzon offshore wind power project.

Three key activities kicked off during the ceremonial event on Nov. 20: the commissioning of two scanning LiDAR units and a second meteorological mast to validate prior satellite and three years of actual site wind measurement from a pre-existing met mast; the start of a comprehensive environmental and social impact study led by global firm ARUP for the project’s environmental compliance certificate (ECC); and the formalization of an academe-industry partnership for workforce development in Ilocos Norte, with Mapúa University and Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU).

- Advertisement -

“By engaging third parties to conduct resource validation and environmental impact study of our offshore wind project, we are taking a responsible, deliberate, and transparent approach to development,” said Maria Victoria Olivar, BENLC vice president for operations.

“Equally important is the start of our workforce development program with Mapúa and MMSU, with the support of the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) and the Royal Embassy of Denmark, which symbolizes the power of international and cross-sectoral collaboration to foster knowledge-sharing that will benefit not only our project but the entire region,” Olivar said.

Organized by BENLC and the Ilocos Norte provincial government, the event was supported and attended by representatives from the Department of Energy (DOE), the Board of Investment (BOI), the Royal Danish Embassy, GWEC, Aprendio, ARUP, Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Taisei Corp., Mapúa, MMSU, Divine Word College of Laoag, Philippine Marines, Philippine Coast Guard, Philippine Ports Authority (PPA), Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Department of Education (DepEd), and the local government units of Burgos, Bangui, and Pagudpud.

Ilocos Norte Vice Governor Matthew Marcos-Manotoc graced the event and reaffirmed the provincial government’s commitment to enabling responsible renewable energy development.

“I assure Buhawind, that you have in us a strong partner. We should continue to harness the power of the wind and make sure that it will have a positive impact on our people, their livelihoods, our environment, and the economy as a whole,” Manotoc said.

Manotoc highlighted the need for renewable energy development to contribute to lowering retail electricity prices and to generate high-quality permanent green jobs for Ilocos Norte. He lauded the early engagement with the academe, emphasizing its role in skills enhancement and educating the local workforce to meet industry demands.

DOE Assistant Director Ruby de Guzman welcomed the feasibility milestones, stating that the activities “reflect the careful, science-based, and community-centered approach we expect from responsible offshore wind developers.”

BOI Executive Director Bobby Fondevilla praised Buhawind’s active engagement, noting that the collaboration is needed to build a strong offshore wind industry.

“The BOI remains committed to facilitating high-impact renewable energy investments that promote inclusive growth and reinforce the Philippines’ position as an attractive destination for clean energy development,” Fondevilla said.

The study is separate from the previously announced feasibility study being conducted by BENLC and China’s Mingyang Smart Energy Group Ltd.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img