Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

‘Payment for Gem-Ver : No deal so far’

The Department of Justice on Sunday said there is no agreement yet on the compensation for the 2019 sinking of Filipino fishing vessel F/B Gem-Ver 1.

Justice Undersecretary Adrian Ferdinand Sugay made the clarification following reports that the owner and crew members of the ill-fated vessel have agreed  to a settlement of P6 million out of the P12 million that  they originally claimed.

- Advertisement -

The same reports also claimed that the Chinese company which owned the trawler which hit the fishing vessel made a a counter offer of P3.6 million.

“The discussions are still on-going. Until these are completed, it might not be advisable to make any statements on the amounts involved,” Sugay said in a text message to reporters.

Sugay declined to make further statements since the negotiation is still ongoing.

Talks on the compensation started last June 7 and was hosted by the Philippine Embassy in Beijing.

The discussion was held after two years since the June 9, 2019 sinking of Gem-Ver 1 which was allegedly rammed by a Chinese fishing vessel in Reed Bank, also known as the Recto Bank, in the West Philippine Sea.

The Chinese fishing vessel fled,  leaving the crew of Gem-Ver 1 stranded until they got rescued and returned to Philippine shores.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img